Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Oracle of Pompeii and Whispering Winds - New Art

Here are two new paintings!  The first is "Whispering Winds", a painting I finished last week but ended up adjusting a few times before I released her yesterday.

Wind has always seemed sort of magical to me.  Where I grew up, it always sounded like the trees were whispering to each other as they swayed back and forth.  Sometimes the chorus of tree-voices was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think.  This little fairy is listening to the whispering trees.  Maybe she can actually understand them!

"The Oracle of Pompeii" is a digital painting, inspired by the book "Last Days of Pompeii" by Edward Bulwer-Lytton (1834). I have had an 1850-something leather-bound edition of this book waiting for me for years, but it's a monster of a book and I never have much time to read. Luckily through LibriVox I was able to get a free audiobook version of it, and I've been listening to it lately while I work.

I thought it made good background noise for this painting, in particular, and it influenced the direction this painting went. Originally this was going to be autumnal, but I decided to make it more of a late-summer painting and to include erupting Vesuvius in the background. Originally her robes were all white, but that was not the fashion in Pompeii at the time, so I trimmed them in Tyrian Purple to reflect the fashion of the time. The robes are fantasized quite a bit and probably are not historically accurate in the least. The architecture is also inaccurate, but it was a fun challenge.


Now I'm off to finish "Latet Anguis in Herba", another painting actually inspired by Last Days of Pompeii, but radically different from The Oracle.  If it all goes to plan, I will also start "The Lost Library" and hopefully get it near completion as well.  Busy busy!


No comments:

Post a Comment