Monday, January 2, 2012

No, wait, extend my vacation, please!

I haven't really managed to get anything considerable accomplished during my vacation. I realize that for most people, a vacation is a time to sit around and do nothing, but I am most relaxed when I'm working, and I was hoping to do that quite a bit. But here I am, just a couple days away from re-opening and I've accomplished pretty much zilch on my list. I actually already processed orders, because I couldn't wait any longer, so I guess I am technically already taking orders again.

It seems like the last two weeks just flew by. We spent a good chunk of it in Washington, where it was basically impossible to get any work done. There was food, and lights, and people, and my attention span sucks anyway. Plus the internet there is slower than any dial-up I've ever had, and I couldn't even get on Facebook for most of the trip. Anything more intensive like website work or whatever, was not going to happen there.

My studio is still an enormous mess, I haven't done inventory, and all the end-of-year stuff I've accomplished so far was mostly done by my husband, who did all the number-y stuff and determined that if I were a postcard manufacturer, I'd be rich by now. During 2011 I sold at least 10 times as many postcards as 8"x10" prints. This year we'll only be offering postcard packs, because selling the individual postcards is a pain in the ass, and not very lucrative. The 12"x16" poster prints are also phased out now, and I'll be working on phasing out some other stuff this winter/spring, and it looks like more key chains and definitely magnets in the future.

I think once I get the studio back into shape and get more than a few minutes to myself, I'll be able to get back into the swing of things. I also need to figure out what to do with a current commission. One of the faces in it is driving me bonkers and I can't figure out what I don't like about it. I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about it and worry about it all day long. I need to do something with it soon, or paint something else so I feel a little less worthless. I have another commission almost done, but not quite, and all that's really left is painting a foot and a bunch of leaves. I hate both of those things. I am not sure if it's worse to paint toes or 100 leaves. I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment